Overview This course is both an awareness exercise and a learning experience. Participants will become aware of the essentials of effective communication and will learn valuable new skills about how to become a great communicator.
The course is divided into six modules, each with a few sections. The six modules are: Module 1: Generic Communication Skills Module 2: Writing Skills Module 3: Reading Skills Module 4: Talking Skills Module 5: Listening Skills Module 6: Return on Investment (ROI)
Programme Duration The one day version consists of a selection of modules and sections from the Programme Content below as agreed upon by both the client and Leadership The EPL Way.
The two day version consists of most of the modules and sections excluding those not important to the client.
Programme Content 1. Generic Communication Skills 1) Types of communication: ~ Listening: 40% ~ Talking: 35% ~ Reading: 16% ~ Writing: 9% 2) How do you know whether you are an effective communicator ~ Individual Assessment ~ Essentials of Effective Communication 3) Communication styles based on your temperament (personality) type 4) Typical obstacles to effective communication ~ Different mindsets (filters): perceptions, meaning giving and interpretation differences – the problem of misunderstanding ~ Selective listening ~ Chain communication ~ Non-verbal signals ~ Gender-oriented communication styles ~ Communication across cultures 5) Be clear about your intended message ~ Four goals of communication 6) Who do you communicate with – analyse the receiver(s) of your communication ~ The number one rule for reaching or making impact on the receiver(s) of your communication ~ How to analyse the receiver of your communication ~ Strategies for appealing to the receiver of your communication ~ Choosing the right channel: what channel of communication best serves the goal of your communication? ~ What about the time factor? How urgent is the communication?
2. Writing Skills 7) The basics of good business writing – practical guidelines 8) Effective use of E-mail ~ Effective E-mail writing practices ~ E-mail etiquette (also called Netiquette) 9) How to write the following types of E-mails, memos or letters ~ An informational E-mail or memo ~ To request something ~ Good and bad news E-mails/letters ~ A persuasive E-mail or letter – how to make information persuasive ~ To build relationships
3. Reading Skills 10) How to read an E-mail, memo or letter effectively
4. Talking Skills 11) Communicating with peers, subordinates and superiors 12) How to get your point across in one minute 13) Cultivating communication on the telephone 14) How to interest people 15) How to connect with a person 16) How to criticise 17) Using communication skills to solve disagreements 18) Communication and productive meetings 19) Making effective presentations
5. Listening Skills Seek first to understand, then to be understood – Stephen Covey 20) The value of listening 21) Good listening practices 22) How to be an active listener
6. Return on Investment (ROI) 23) Measuring the effectiveness of the Effective Communication Skills course
Back to...Pathos Courses>>> Back to...The EPL Way Services>>>